Welcome to the Clerk of District Court’s office!  This office is responsible for a wide variety of duties and record-keeping for Roosevelt County. 

It is the responsibility of the Clerk of District Court to both protect and provide open access to the records in our possession. Some documents and records are sealed and confidential by law, but most are open for public review. 
You may find yourself in need of our assistance if you need to obtain a marriage license, review documents regarding a probate filing, obtain a copy of your dissolution decree, or if you find yourself selected for a district court jury panel. These are just a few of the many types of matters handled within our office. 
Hopefully, this web site will help you on your way to finding the information you need. If you are unable to locate your information, or you need any help at all, please give us a call. We are more than happy to assist you in any way possible. 
If you have any questions regarding any of the statutes mentioned in this web site, please go to the Links page and click on “Montana Law Library” for more information. 
The Clerk of District Court is a sworn public servant who, by constitutional and statutory authority, provides the primary administrative function for the District Court of the 15th Judicial District Court. Since 1919. 

Jeri Toavs 
Clerk of District Court & Jury Commissioner 

While the Clerk of District Court’s office is pleased to assist you in any way possible, please understand that we are unable to provide legal advice. If you need legal advice, please contact an attorney. 

There is a statutory search fee of $2 per name per year for the first seven years, and $1 per name for each additional year. We are unable to do searches over the telephone, as the search fee must be pre-paid. We do not have a public computer terminal however we do have a card file for all records in the Clerk of District Court’s Office. 
If you need information in a case, please have your case number ready when you call otherwise we will have to charge a search fee. 

The statutory fee for photocopies is as follows: 
Copy of Decree of Dissolution: $10 
Copy of Marriage License: $5 
General Copies: $1 per page for the first ten pages, $.50 per page for additional pages 
Certification: $2 (in addition to above copy fees) 
Authentication: $6 (in addition to above copy fees) 
Copy fees are also required in advance. 

Search/Copy Requests 
If you need to request information from a file or copies of filed documents, you may do so by visiting our office between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Our office is located in the Roosevelt County courthouse, on the second floor, in Room 210. If you are unable to come into our office, please prepare a written request. Be sure that your request is specific and indicates exactly what documents or information you need and whether the copies need to be certified. 
Search and copy fees must be pre-paid. Along with your request, please send a payment made out to the Clerk of District Court. Some copies and fees are a flat rate and the fee can be easily determined. However, if you are requesting searches and/or copies with per page or year rates, and are unsure of the amount to send, please give us a call. 
Be sure to send a self-addressed, stamped, legal-sized envelope with adequate postage for the number of copies you are requesting. We will not return your copies to you without a self-addressed, stamped envelope. 

Please mail your requests to: 

Jeri Toavs 
Clerk of District Court 
400 2nd Avenue South 
Wolf Point, MT 59201 


 A partial list of requirements for obtaining a Marriage License are as follows (this list is to be used only as a guideline and not to be interpreted as inclusive of all Montana marriage license laws. It is subject to change without notice): 
1. Effective July 2005, the Marriage License fee or filing of a Declaration of Marriage fee will be $53.00(Cash only – no checks, debit, or credit cards). 

2. The marriage requirements for men and women who are 18 years of age or older are found in MCA Sec. 40-1-203. This includes copies of birth certificates, blood test waiver (form available in the Clerk’s office) and copies of divorce decrees. If your birth certificate is from a foreign country, we still need a copy of the certificate. It must then be translated to English, by a person authorized to do so, and their signature must be notarized. 

3. Persons 16 or 17 years of age must have parental consent (both parents). Contact the Clerk of Court’s Office on the procedure for this. However, in the case where only one parent has legal custody of that person, just the parent having custody is required to sign the consent form in the Clerk of Court’s Office (proof of custody is required). At 16 or 17 years of age, it is a state law that there must be at least two sessions of counseling at least 10 days apart with a designated counselor. This will require a letter written on the letterhead of the church or designated counselor stating the names of the couple, their ages, the dates of counseling, and the opinion of the counselor on the pending marriage. Forms for counseling are also available in the Clerk of Court’s office. Both male and female applicants, as a couple, must participate in the counseling, after which judicial consent must be given for the Clerk of court’s office to issue a marriage license. A district court judge signs the judicial consent (40-1-213). 

4. The marriage of a person 15 and under is prohibited in the State of Montana (40-1-213). Therefore, persons under the age of 16 may not marry within the State of Montana. 

5. Proof of age shall be substantiated by a copy of a birth certificate. (You may not use the hospital form with baby footprints). We do not accept passports as a proof of age or identification. 

6. In lieu of a medical certificate, applicants for a marriage license may file an informed consent form (available in the Clerk’s office) acknowledging receipt and understanding of written rubella immunity information and declining rubella immunity testing. Filing of an informed consent form will affect a waiver of the requirement for a blood test for rubella immunity. Informed consent must be recorded on a form provided by the department and signed by both applicants (40-1-203 & 40-1-206). 

7. Those persons desiring to consummate a marriage by written declaration without solemnization must secure the premarital blood test waiver (available in the Clerk’s office) for the female prior to executing the declaration (40-1-311 through 313 & 40-1-323). 

8. Any marriage by proxy may be found under Sections 40-1-301(2) and 40-1-213(3). Roosevelt County does not do proxy marriages. 

9. Prohibited marriages are covered under Section 40-1-401

10. If a person has been previously married, proof that the most recent marriage was legally ended must be presented at the time of application for a marriage license in the form of either a copy of the decree of dissolution or a copy of the death certificate of the former spouse.  (If the marriage ended in a divorce/dissolution in Roosevelt County, we will have your decree on file.) 

11. A marriage license issued to Montana residents authorizes a marriage ceremony to be performed in the county where the license was issued or in any county of the State of Montana; however, the license is not transferrable out of state. 40-1-201

12. Persons who may now solemnize a marriage include a judge of a court of record, a public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages, by a mayor, city judge or justice of the peace, by a tribal judge, or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by any religious denomination, indian nation or tribe, or native group (40-1-301

13. No license to marry shall be issued if either of the applicants is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or narcotic drugs (40-1-210). 

14. A license to marry becomes effective upon issuance. The marriage license has an expiration notice of 180 days after it becomes effective (40-1-212). 

15. Effective July 1, 1997, the social security numbers of both male and female applicants must be on the marriage license application. 
16. Roosevelt County Clerk of District Court does not file or register Common Law Marriages. 
If further information is required, Please contact the Clerk of District Court (contact information at the top of this page). 

Orders of Protection 
Petitions for Temporary Orders of Protection will only be heard by District Court judges in cases involving parties to a pending (already filed with an assigned case number) dissolution, parenting or paternity proceeding, or involving an alleged victim in a pending felony criminal matter. 

All other parties wishing to obtain an order of protection will need to contact Roosevelt County Justice Court or Municipal Court regarding their criteria for such an order. 

Fees Charged in District Court 
The fees charged by the clerk of district court (MCA* 25-1-201). (1) The clerk of the district court shall collect the following fees: 

At the commencement of each action or proceeding from the plaintiff or petitioner 
(Includes Paternity and Invalidity of Marriage) 
At the commencement of each petition for dissolution $200.00 
At the commencement of each Petition for Legal Separation $180.00 
At the commencement of each Petition for Adoption $105.00 
For filing a petition for contested Amendment of Parenting Plan $120.00 
For filing a Complaint in Intervention, by the intervener $80.00 
For the appearance of each defendant or each respondent $70.00 
For filing a Foreign Judgment $90.00 
For the entry or renewal of Judgment, from prevailing party $45.00 
For filing and docketing: Transcript of Judgment $45.00 
For filing and docketing: Confession of Judgment $45.00 
For filing a civil appeal from a lower court:… Justice and City Court $30.00 
For filing a civil appeal from a lower court:… Small Claims Court $10.00 
For filing a transfer from another county $10.00 
For transmission of records or files or transfer of a case to another court 
(Includes removals to Federal District Court and forwarding appeals to Supreme Court) 
For all writs of execution, writs of assistance and orders of sale $5.00 
For a substitution of judge (Charge governmental agencies – excluding criminal cases) $100.00 
For registering a process server (Fee is $100.00 plus $5.00 for county-generated ID card) $105.00 
For oath or jurat with seal $1.00 
For authenticated or exemplified copies $6.00 
For certification with a seal $2.00 
For searching court records $2.00 per name per year up to seven (7) years; $1.00 per name each additional year 
For preparing general copies $1.00 per page for first ten (10) pages; $.50 per page each additional page 
For preparing a copy of a dissolution decree $10.00 
For preparing a copy of a marriage license $5.00 
For formal/informal probate, guardianship or conservatorship case when commenced 
(Includes filing of the will; Ancillary with Montana letter issued) 
For Probate, Foreign P. R. with certificate $85.00 
For Marriage License/Declaration of Marriage $53.00 
For preparing and certifying a transcript of judgment $4.00 

Frequently Asked Questions 
Traffic Citations 
Our office does not handle any traffic citations. Please check the ticket you were issued to determine if you need to contact Roosevelt County Justice Court  (Wolf Point) at (406) 653-6258 or Roosevelt County Justice Court Post #2 (Culbertson)  (406)-787-6607 or Municipal Court at (406) 653-6261. 

Small Claims Court 
Small Claims Court is located within the Roosevelt County Justice Court. If you have questions regarding a Small Claims Court action, that office can be reached at (406) 653-6258 or (406) 653-6261. 

Birth and Death Certificates 
Birth and death certificates can be obtained in the Roosevelt County Clerk & Recorder’s office. Please check with the Clerk & Recorder regarding fees and requirements to obtain these documents. The Clerk & Recorder’s office can be reached at (406) 653-6250. 

Helpful Links 
“If you have any questions regarding any of the information or forms obtained on any of the websites listed below, please contact those offices directly. These links are provided solely for your convenience. 

The Clerk of District Court’s office is not responsible for any of the 
information or forms on any of the below sites. We have not reviewed any of the information or forms for accuracy. ” 
Montana State Bar 
Montana State Law Library 
Montana Secretary of State 
State of Montana  

Jeri Toavs

Clerk of District Court/Superintendent of Schools

Phone Number: (406)653-6166

Email: jtoavs@mt.gov

Laurie Evans

Deputy Clerk of District Court

Phone Number: (406)653-6273

Email: levans@mt.gov